pearlezem.blogspot.com.ng

Wednesday 17 April 2019

Where it pinches...



(PS: This is a typical Nigerian campus story so it would contain lots of slangs and half baked variations of English Language... )

He walked steadily towards me while giving me that look and i sighed quietly, rolling my eyes inwardly. I just knew how the night would end: Him reaching heaven in five minutes and coming back down in much lesser time. Despite how much i hated it all, i let him have his way as usual. Few minutes later, I looked at him with his eyes closed above me, wondering what must have made me like him. It definitely wasn’t money; I was a lot richer than him… Maybe it was because he was funny? Definitely not. So what the hell was it? As I questioned myself, I watched beads of sweat form above his brows; all I could wish was for was him to finish on time as today was just too special for me to stop him halfway. Suddenly he let
out that all too familiar groan, and i sighed in relief knowing he was done. I tapped his shoulder. "Acho getup, I have to clean myself, hope your bathroom is clean and has water?" "Yes baby." I rolled my eyes at the endearment while getting off the bed.
Moments later, he made himself a cup of milo as I strolled out of the bathroom. "So how was your trip to Owerri?" I asked while drying my hair. "It was okay. My friends sent their regards. So,where will we go tonight?" "Nowhere, I will be going home soon." "Comeon baby, its Friday, lets go have fun, and maybe eat some of those spiced fish you love."
"I heard about you and Yewande. So you both have been cruising all over."
I headed to his kitchen to see if I could eat something. Immediately,
he joined me in the kitchen, completely in rage.
"I can't believe you've been listening to all those useless gossip spread by people that want to tear us apart. Wicked and jobless people!" I smiled knowingly, joining him in ranting, "Heartless people!" He smiled at my statement.
"Baby you know its only you right? You know I'll never hurt you... "
His arms were around me in a second and he was about to get started when i quietly pulled out of his arms.
"Really? You're so adorable... "
"So will you go out with me tonight?"
"How did you happen to be at Owerri and Enugu together?"
"I don't understand you." "My uncle owns an hotel in Enugu and my cousin is the manager. He saw you come in on Wednesday. He still recognizes you from my birthday party."
"He must be mistaken, I wasn’t at Owerri. He can't be too sure, many people look like me." I smiled and nodded. Men really suck. "I see... Anyway, being so sure that you would deny it, he snapped you from a distance, while you were beside the pool with a lady." I brought out my phone and showed him the pictures.
"That is your favorite shorts yeah? I don't even understand why you like it."
Acho was speechless for awhile, he wanted to talk but words seemed to fail him. I laughed shaking my head.
"Don’t worry we are cool." "I am so sorry, I love you so much. She was all over me and I…" "Don’t worry, I understand. Sometimes I can be a difficult girlfriend." "Tee, we can get through this… I swear it was a one time thing..." I continued looking at the picture with a dazzling smile on my face. "Is that Yewande? She really has nice boobs oh... Hope you didn’t tweak her nipples too much like you do mine? I tell you that really hurts..." "Babe stop please, you are really scaring me." "Relax Acho... " "If you knew since Wednesday, why are you just telling me now? Why allow me make love to you?" "Firstly, that wasn’t lovemaking, it was just you doing your usual five minutes acrobatic dance. Secondly, I'll rather breakup with you when I see you than on phone." "Babe please… What will I be without you?"
I laughed. I looked around, realizing in dismay that there was nothing edible in his kitchen.
"Now that we have confirmed that you didn’t use the #20,000 I gave you in Owerri, can I have it back? Except you used it for Enugu then I understand." Acho sat down on his mattress looking defeated.
"See me off to the bus-stop, its time for me to bounce!"
"Baby, is it really over? I mean just like that?" "Yes dear..."
                                                     *.         *.          *.         *.            *.          *
I wasn’t sad about the break-up, being single was something I felt was right for me at this time. Moreover, the student union government elections were around the corner.
Abayomi my second bestie wanted to be the President and had approached me to be his vice. I didn't really like his policies nor was I crazy about being elected. I just saw it as an opportunity to do something different, another icing in the cake I guess. What made it all the more sweet was the fact that no igbo girl had been the vice-president of the school. I liked breaking bounds. Checking my phone as I got home, I saw 22 missed calls from Acho,1 from my dad, and some whatsapp messages. I called my dad.

I went into the kitchen moments later, reminiscing on my father's obvious disappointment on learning that Acho and I had parted ways. He still considered him to be a good boy. I hissed, indeed... I made myself a creamy lunch and was devouring my cereal when my phone rang. It was Abayomi. He informed me that we were to meet some people for fundraising in the evening and i had to be there. I sighed in disappointment because I really hadn't planned on going out tonight. I made up my mind to hold him up for awhile; I really needed to gist. "Where is it going to hold?" "Babis... " "OK, I'll be there boss." "You can bring your boyfriend." "You mean Yewande’s boyfriend? I guess he'll be..." "I don’t understand." "He was bleeping her at my back..." "Na wa for that guy ooo! People can be stupid sha. How can he cheat on somebody like you. If you had agreed to date me when we were in 100level, all this rubbish…" "How is Toun my friend? I  am sure you would never cheat on her..." "Never... now that you are single…" "How is Kofo?"
"Why are you asking me about Kofo?" "Its because I know you have been bleeping her behind your girlfriend."
"Chai, who told you this one?" "I have my sources."
"Kofo and I are just close friends. The fact that your boyfriend cheated doesn't mean I'm doing same to my girlfriend. Besides, you know she helps with our campaign?" "Oh really? By bleeping everybody that counts to vote for us?" I just couldn't help laughing out loud. "You know I hate you abi?" "Yeah, I know Abayomi but you know its only me that tells you the truth.Toun is my friend and, if you don’t call it quits with Kofo aka universal charger, Iwill tell Toun." "You are mean, mean as hell!" "I know sugar, that’s why I am your padi-padi." "Carry your wahala dey go… See you tonight. Don’t be late oh..." "Alright boo... " "Yeye girl... "He hissed jokingly and then hung up. I smiled; at least I had passed my message across and also received his. Abayomi was my bestfriend; Icould do almost anything for him. We almost dated while in 100 level, but he was too serious with school and politics. I liked him because ultimately he was a good guy at heart, had a great G.P (one that could make your parents disown you and adopt him ). To top it all up, he was also kind. I was surprised when he had insisted I be his vice for the elections. I didn't think I had the prerequisites.
I was igbo, didn't have many friends, was relatively young at 21, and I hadn't ever showed interest in politics.However, he had insisted that I would help him swing all the non-Yoruba votes to our camp, because most of them wanted a voice at the SUG (Student union government). He also said I was the only one he could trust. Our opponent was a radical figure, his nick-name was National. He had been on of the very active class-reps in his
department since I could remember. He was liked by lecturers and was a good orator. I doubted our chances of defeating him but I had to standby Abayomi.
It was 9:30pm when I woke up from my sleep immediately, I remembered that I had to be at babis for the fundraiser. The election was to hold in six weeks, though we had campaign posters all over the campuses (mini and main); National was having the upperhand. He had more financial power than Abayomi as he (Abayomi) came from what I would describe as an average family. His dad was a retired banker while his mum was a civil servant.My dad ran eight big stores in Alaba international market. He dealt
with the importation of Samsung and sharp electronics.
My dad didn’t go to secondary school talk more of a university.He came to Lagos immediately after the Biafran war, worked as a salesboy for Late Mr Koledowo of blessed memory at Idumota.Idumota was one of the biggest markets in the 70’s.Things went smoothly for awhile until Mr koledowo’s
wife died. He never really recovered from the shock. He died November 17th 1979, leaving his store to my dad.Shortly after his demise, his family came to close the store leaving my dad with nothing.My dad had made some friends with some Ghanaians who were regular customers.Mr Bansah allowed my dad to stay with his family provided my dad worked for them for free. As providence would have it, in 1983 the Ghanaians were evicted from Nigeria. Though the government of Nigeria said it was due to economic hardships, my dad always maintained that it was a form of retaliation. In1969, Nigerians had been evicted from Ghana. Once again, my dad inherited another man’s store.Fast forward to 2015, my 47 year old dad, Chief Dike was a millionaire; my mum was an housewife.
I had supported the elections financially evenmore than Abayomi, but it still wasn't enough. A lot of freshers adorned tee-shirts with National’s beaming smile on them. Even some girls in my compound had theirs. Just remembering it drives home their disloyalty!
I wouldn't have been able to gett to Babis on time if i had boarded a taxi, I decided to meet John, my neighbor who had a car and could easily drop me off.
"John...!" Noreply… I knocked on his door but he didn't open. I was forced to peep through the window because I could hear music from his one room apartment. Lying in bed was John, with his Unclad girlfriend sprawled like an eagle beside him.Cans of sprite and a bottle of Johnny walker were nearby. I walked to Itamerin bus-stop to get a bike to Babis.
It was crowded when I got in, it was filled with most of the club guys and girls unwinding from the week long lectures I skimmed the crowed until I saw Abayomi seated with some people just by the bar. I was squeezing myself for a way through the crowd when a hand pulled me back.
Turning, I saw the slim body and apologetic smile of Acho."I thought you said you were staying indoors tonight." "Its really none of your business."
"I see you have already forgotten about me." I rolled my eyes, desperately stopping myself from being rude. "You are kind and smart. Now let go of my hand some people are waiting for me. Acho let go immediately. ‘WO' by olamide was booming in the back-ground as a couple of students flooded the park that stood as the dance floor. "I will miss you." "I bet you will honey."
I continued walking to the area where Abayomi sat. He didn’t see me as he continued arguing fervently with someone. I didn’t recognize the person nor the other people sitting around the table. It wasn’t long before Abayomi saw me and screamed.
"You can be very annoying! We have been here since 9pm, look at the time you are coming." "Ab, is that how to talk to a lady, your mum did a rotten job raising you." "Your papa left yansh!" "Ishiewu... " We laughed out loud. He opened his arms for an embrace. "Come and hug me joor." I jokingly squeezed my nose with my hands. "Body odour oh…"
I quickly scrutinized the people sitting around the table. Dada was at the right hand side of Abayomi, Kofo sat at his left with her fake lashes almost covering her eyes. Uche was holding a bottle of Gulder while Qudus sat at the corner. Seeing Uche there left me with an uneasy feeling, he was one of the boys that was feared in mini-campus where most of the social science students received their lectures.Those were the people I recognized, the others were unknown, and maybe they were from the main-campus. "Sorry I am late guys." I couldn't help rendering an apology for my late coming.
Most people responded by saying;  "don’t worry…" "its alright…" "No problem…" except Uche. He just smiled that wicked,  no... evil smile.

No comments: