pearlezem.blogspot.com.ng

Friday 5 April 2019

I AM NOT SORRY


Beryl jumped happily out of the taxi. She just couldn't wait to see Nonso. She knew he'd be so excited to hear the news she came to give him. She grinned. The look on her baby's face when he heard what she had to say, was something she could just imagine. She waltzed to the door and was about inserting her key when she heard a lady's voice. She paused and listened attentively. "Nonso please dont do this to me I'm begging you. I came here because Eric sent me to deliver your pizza..." "Shut up! Pull off those damn clothes now before I tear them off you...!" Beryl was shocked and she bent and peeped through the key hole. Fortunately, she was able to see what was happening inside. The lady kept begging and Nonso pulled her and tore her dress. She couldn't help screaming. Nonso paused searching for the source of the noise. Beryl ran out of the compound pissed, abashed and extremely hurt, disappointed and angry. As she highlighted a cab home, she regretted not saving the lady and she shrugged. What if he harmed her too? She never knew he was such a violent man plus a rapist. Wow! He really was a good actor. How did he conceal this side of him for two years? To think she was planning to marry him. There really was a God and he just saved her ass. DAMN!
Immediately she got home, she made arrangements for a new place to live and blocked him from calling, texting or reaching her on all her social media platforms. Two weeks after, her friend Dolly called. "Hey babe whatsup? Where are you? Your man is about to kill himself o! If you dont come out, his death would be on your..." Abeg Dorathy if thats why you called me forget it. I'm changing my sim right now so nobody can disturb my peace." She hung up before her friend could reply. Few weeks later, she heard that a lady had committed suicide. After taking a closer look at the dead lady's picture, she realised that it was the lady Nonso raped. How could he be so mean? She felt pangs of guilt and regret for not trying to stop Nonso despite her shock and fear. For some reason, what if it could have been her? Immediately, she resolved to protect herself from being rapped. The next day, she went to the market and bought a dozen of daggers. She resolved to always move around with at least one because, it was better to be safe than sorry.

                  ***********************************
 The next few years was characterized by her avoidance of men and also her pursuit for the enhancement of her musical career. One day, she went out to record her song in a studio. She paused at the lobby of the building to buy the ticket that would permit her to be ushered in and assigned a producer. The ticket had already been cut, signed and stamped when she realised her purse was missing. She was so embarrassed and returned the ticket, explaining how she didnt know she left her purse at home. "I'm sorry ma'am but we cant take this ticket back. Your name have already been inscribed on it and..." "Haven't you been hearing a word I've been saying?" "You have to pay or..." "What's the meaning of this for God's sake? Cant you resell it to another customer?" "Madam you're disturbing my job can you pay me fast so I can attend to another customer?" "I just told you I cant..." "How much is her ticket?" Both the guy behind the desk and Beryl turned to stare at the stranger in suprise. "I said how much is it?" "#7500." Immediately he brought out a pile of cash, counted #8,000 and handed it to him. "Keep the change." He walked off and Beryl stared at his departing figure still taken aback by his niceness. Why did he help her since he wasn't waiting in line himself? Do such men still exist? She just couldnt believe it... "Madam could please leave the line so I could attend to others?" "Oh sorry..." She moved away from the line. "Please go in through that door with your stamped ticket..." She ignored his directions and hurried out to see she could at least get a last glimpse of him. She was surprised to find him standing beside a very nice Jeep, pressing his phone and periodically glancing at his watch. Seemed like he was waiting for someone. She cleared her throat and that got his attention. "Ummm... Thanks for bailing me out." He smiled briskly "You're welcome." His voice was quite sharp and politely dismissive. She didn't give up on trying to make a conversation though. "Are you waiting for someone?" "Yeah, my younger sister." "She's into music?" He nodded and politely excused himself. She watched him as he walked farther away to supposedly "take a call." For a while she remembered how she'd shooed men away for the past two years. It was funny how she now saw herself getting interested in one that's practically shooing her away.

                      ***********************************
She arrived at her extremely boring apartment, still remembering the stranger that paid her bills and shooed her away. That was actually a first and, she found herself craving to see him again. She had almost finished undressing before she realised that her phone was missing. She threw back her clothes on and hurried to the studio to check for the phone. She was just so convinced that she left it there.
On getting to the studio, she hurried over to the counter. "Please I think I left my phone here. Could you help me find it?" "I'm sorry ma'am I haven't seen any phone..." "Oh my God! It can't be. Please just check..." "Madam there's no..."
"Here you are... Is this yours?" She was agape. The shock and delight she felt right now wasn't just because her most priced phone was dangling from his hands but she was seeing the hot kind stranger again. "Yee... yeeesss." She stammered as she recovered from her shock. He smiled. Damn! This guy was freaking hot... "You left your phone on top of my car." He handed over the phone to her. She muttered a thank you as she collected her phone. Two good deeds in a day, that was a great sign. He walked out of the building and she followed him immediately this time. "Can I at least know your name? You've done enough to pique my curiousity."
"Edmond, but everyone calls me Eddie." "Eddie. Hmmm... nice name. I'm Beryl by the way." She said stretching her hands for a handshake. He smiled again even nicer this time and took her hands. Instead of shaking it, he took it to his lips. She felt that flutter in her stomach and couldnt help smiling. "That's an even nicer name. Sounds like you didn't grow up in Nigeria." "Of course I did. Original Naija hot blood like me." He released her hand as they both laughed. "I thought you said you were waiting for your sister?" "Yeah I was but, she ditched me to accompany her friend. Where are you headed?" "Third avenue." "I'm heading towards 2nd avenue. Can I drop you off?" "Of course. Thanks a lot." He grinned, politely shrugging off her gratitude.

No comments: